Connor has type 1 which is the mild type. Here is more information on Type 1.
- Most common and mildest type of OI.
- Bones fracture easily. Most fractures occur before puberty.
- Normal or near-normal stature.
- Loose joints and muscle weakness.
- Sclera (whites of the eyes) usually have a blue, purple, or gray tint.
- Triangular face.
- Tendency toward spinal curvature.
- Bone deformity absent or minimal.
- Brittle teeth possible.
- Hearing loss possible, often beginning in early 20s or 30s.
- Collagen structure is normal, but the amount is less than normal.
- Weak tissues, fragile skin, and easy bruising.
- OI Type I accounts for 50 percent of the total OI population.
- Type I is characterized with mild bone fragility, relatively few fractures, and minimal limb deformities. The child might not fracture until he or she is learning to walk.
- Shoulders and elbow dislocations may occur more frequently than in healthy children.
- Some children have few obvious signs of OI or fractures. Others experience multiple fractures of the long bones, compression fractures of the vertebrae, and chronic pain.
The intervals between fractures may vary considerably. - After growth is completed, the incidence of fractures decreases considerably.
- Blue sclerae are often present.
- Typically, a child’s stature may be average or slightly shorter-than-average as compared with unaffected family members, but is still within the normal range for the age.
- There is a high incidence of hearing loss. Onset occurs primarily in young adulthood, but it may occur in early childhood.
- People with OI Type I experience the psychological burden of appearing normal and healthy to the casual observer despite needing to accommodate their bone fragility.
- The absence of obvious symptoms in some children may contribute to problems at school or with peers.
- Significant care issues that arise with OI Type I include gross motor developmental delays, joint and ligament weakness and instability, muscle weakness, the need to prevent fracture cycles, and the necessity of spine protection.
- Family members should carry documentation of the OI diagnosis to avoid accusations of child abuse at emergency rooms.
- The treatment plan should maximize mobility and function, increase peak bone mass, and develop muscle strength. Physical therapy, early intervention programs, and as much exercise and physical activity as possible will improve outcomes.
Connor meets almost all of these. It's weird because I knew he had a brittle bone disease but now it is really reality. I am relived that a Doctor finally told me what he has and gave him a diagnosis. At the same time I am scared, worried, and stressed. I know God sent him to me for a reason. I am supposed to be his mother. God knows I can handle it. I just feel incompetent at the same time. Lots of mixed feelings and emotions. It's weird because I have a gifted disabled kid. I have a kid that is beyond advanced intellectually and behind physically and with motor skills. I just worry about how it will be when he goes to school. How will the kids treat him? OI Type 1 is often called a "invisible disorder" because it is not apparent to the casual observer. Kids will wonder why he looks and acts normal but isn't. My biggest fear is him being bullied and made fun of. I'm sure every parent has that fear but when your child has a disability it is even worst. Connor is also very passive aggressive. He gets it from me. I read on the oi foundation page to make sure you tell teachers that if your child has a fracture to know that it is not their fault. Also to emphasize that the benefits gained by the child’s participation in a regular school program far outweigh the risk of a fracture, which could occur wherever the child may be.
OI is a genetic disorder but for Connor he is the carrier of it. Billy and I both don't have it or a family history of it. Basically Connor has a spontaneous mutation of OI which happened during conception of him. It is not mine or Billy's fault just something in the sperm or egg got mutated. Nothing we did caused the spontaneous mutation to occur. Now that he is an OI carrier he has a 50% chance of passing it on to his kids. They are almost positive that Jack does not have it. Because Connor is the dominant carrier and not Billy or I it means Jack does not have it. Just by looking at Jack she could tell he didn't have it. If he does have a fracture they will test him for it though. We still are going on July 13th. It is to go to the OI Clinic. It will be A LOT of Doctors, and Tests. Their will be like 6 Doctors even a Dentist. They still want us to take him to genetics too. They said it doesn't have to be really soon. They are going to call us and let us know when. I read that it is important to realize that no matter how careful a caregiver tries to be, it is impossible to protect a fragile child from the pain of broken bones. Reading this made me feel better because it is so hard to not blame myself every time he breaks his leg so easily. It also said that it is a struggle to find the right balance between protecting from harm and encouraging the child to try new things. The Doctor today said that Connor shouldn't jump on a trampoline or climb monkey bars. She also told us that we really need to be careful to not tell the child "You can't, You can't". She said he shouldn't play football but it is very important that he stay very active. People with OI are encouraged to exercise as much as possible to promote bone and muscle strength, which can help prevent fractures. Walking and swimming are great exercises for him and should be done all the time. They will help his bones get stronger. We have to monitor what physical activity he does but not decrease his physical activity level at the same time.
A surgical procedure called “rodding” is frequently considered for people with OI. This treatment involves inserting metal rods through the length of the long bones to strengthen them and prevent and/or correct deformities.that Rodding Surgery is recommended for children that repeatedly break a long bone which Connor does. They wouldn't do the surgery until he is at least 8 though. Well like I said we are relieved to finally have been given a diagnosis and answers. Billy said he wanted to hug the Doctor lol. We knew he had something now we finally know what it is. Their is treatment but they only like to give it to people with moderate or severe oi not mild. They said if he had 2-3 fractures in a year rather than 1 then we could look into the medicine treatments. The Doctor wrote a thing for our Pediatrician to test Connor's Vitamin D levels when he gets his cast off next week. If it low they will prescribe him Vitamin D supplements which can help. I told my mom that I think my Grandma was up in heaven saying July 13th?! They can't wait till then to find out what is wrong with him they need to find out NOW. It sounds just like her and I know she is looking down on us and had a hand in us getting answers. Please keep Connor in your prayers. I now know that it is not just my gut saying that he has something but that he does and I know what it is. I just need to stay positive and be there for Connor.
15 comments:
Grandpa was probably there too saying, "Good hell Lorna, get that boy a doctor!"
I'm glad that you were able to find out what was wrong. Genetics are such a crazy thing. I was just tested for my pregnancy and after everything they tell me that "a mutation could occur so your child could be at risk for any of these."
But Connor is fortunate to have parents who pushed to find the problem and parents who will push to make things the best they can be for him.
Good luck, Amber. We'll keep you in our prayers.
TO finally have answers that point you in a direction must be a huge relief. I am so sorry to hear that Connor does have this diagnosis though. I am glad he has such a good mom (who followed promptings and sought answers). You are so patient and kind Amber, you are going to be a huge strength to him. You and Billy both. He is blessed to be in your home.
We'll continue to pray for your family.
Can you say "Hell" in heaven Sherry?
I guess since Grandpa invented the word, he can.
I'm so glad you didn't have to wait until July. I think not knowing is sometimes the hardest thing. Your family is amazing and sweet little Connor will definitely be in our prayers!
Aw Amber we totally will keep your sweet boy in our prayers! He is such a smart kid he will go so far in life no matter what! I wish we were closer so we could do play dates more! Good luck with everything and keep us updated!!
I'm so glad you finally got some definite answers! I know you'll be strong for him and be a great support for him him through this! Connor is an awesome kid! I have no doubt (esp, with you by his side) that he will make the best out of all this. Good for you for being so active in trying to find out why the fractures were happening! Y'all are in my thoughts! xoxo
Glad that you finally got some answers. Good thing Connor loves the water! :)
That is so great that you finally know and it is something that is at least milder than it could be. He is such a special little guy and you guys are great parents for him. We will keep you in our prayers.
I'm so glad you guys were able to find out what Connor has going on and that hopefully you guys can help fix it. Hope you guys are doing okay, that's got to be a lot of stress and worry. We'll continue to pray for you guys! Love you girl!
Oh Amber I am so glad you finally found out! What a relief! Although at the same time I am so sorry! You are an amazing mom he is an amazing little boy!
I'm so glad that you have answers!! That is great. I'm glad that you will be able to have support through this. I'm sure you don't really want to think about this, but while you are trying to help with his bones you may also want to learn what to do if he does start to lose his hearing. He is smart and he might enjoy learning ASL right now. AND maybe he will never need to know it.
I love you guys! You are in my prayers. Thanks for keeping your blog updated.
Amber,
I'm so glad that your family has found answers. Your strength is inspiring. Conner is so lucky to have such great parents. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers.
I'm so glad you finally have some answers! Connor is lucky to have such a great family!
What can they do to help treat him? I am so glad that you finally have some answers. It hard to not know whats wrong, but its also hard to know exatly what is wrong.
Let us know if you need anything!!
<3 Jess
Amber you are so strong and connor is so lucky to have you as a mother! I am sure you do not feel strong always but I know people can see your strength especially connor. He is such a smart special boy, his knowledge really astounds me! He really is such a perfect little boy! He has been blessed with good parents! Love you! You all have been in my prayers I am here if you ever need to talk! Love tessa
Post a Comment