Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Connor is potty trained!

BYE BYE DIAPERS!! WAHOOOOOOOOO!!!! Oh my gosh Potty Training is such a HUGE reward to parents! It is an accomplishment to them, a reward, and something that YOUR HARD WORK pays off for! I STUCK it out and Connor is doing GREAT! I started training him 10 days ago and have been meaning to blog about it and am finally getting around to it. I would say it took a week. He did some flips and flops where he did great and then worst then he did before and then better. I took advice from friends and family and stuck it out and didn't go back. I was not going to go back to diapers and I am so glad that I stuck it out and showed him that we were not going back to diapers lol. I am going to go over the last week in a half and if you aren't interested then just skip it. It is more for my records and memory so that I don't forget.
I read the book Potty Training your child in one day. I actually had gotten it as a gift a long time ago and then a few friends kept reccomending it and I read it and now I HIGHLY recommend it! I didn't do the potty party it talked about but I did everything else.

Day One: Connor got up and I told him we were going to potty train his bear. Connor has never liked stuffed animals but about 3 months ago Billy got him a bear from Build a Bear and he LOVES it. He is attached to it. He named him "Key" lol yeah good name huh. We put big boy underwear on Key and gave him some juicy juice and then had key go potty (I squirted some of the juice box into it behind the bear). We cheered for key, told him good job and gave him some M&M's. Connor of course wanted the m&ms and I told him he could have some if he would go potty too. He said ok. This was already a huge milestone usually he says I don't want to potty! Key bear had an accident and Connor told him Key you are a big boy now and need to go in the potty. Key bear went potty one more time after that then it was Connor's time to put on his big boy underwear. He cried and didn't want too but I got him too. I kept trying to get him to sit on the potty and he wouldn't. Nothing I would bribe him with would work. Then I asked him if he wanted to sit on his potty and look at his church book. Light bulb on, it worked. His church book is a quiet book that my mother in law made him and gave to him for Christmas. He is only allowed to have it at church so he knew it was a reward. He was sitting on his potty looking at it and I went downstairs to get him some juice when all the sudden I hear "I peed!" I ran up stairs and yep he had went while I was getting him juice. I was sooooo excited! Connor's 1st time going potty! WAHOO! We did a dance and cheered and sang a potty song went and put a sticker on his potty chart and made some phone calls to get some Congrats! After that it was a lot of him running saying I need to potty as he was going. He would start going and then say he needed too. One time he said it before he started going and ran to the potty and started going with his underwear still on and standing up. Hey it was progress LOL. One time I asked him if he needed to potty and he said "no the pee is just loading" hahahaha. When I was getting Connor ready for bed I told him he had to wear a pull up for bed and that they are for big boys too and just got bed. He cried and said no I want to wear my underwear. Funny that just that morning he was crying because he didn't want to wear it and now was crying that he wanted too.
Day 2: He did a lot better and started saying he needed to potty before he actually started going. Then we went to church and I put a pull up on him, and after church we went to my moms and he didn't do so well. I know I know I should have just stayed home and potty trained but it's in the past now.
Day 3: He did great and only had a couple accidents
Day 4: Here is where I was worried. My mom babysat him this day and I was worried. Well the whole time she babysat him he did not go to the bathroom at all. Nothing. I guess he was a little scared and just held it. After Billy picked him up he had LOTS of accidents. He would just go with out even saying anything. Billy said he asked him if he needed to go and he said No as he was walking and going. When I got home it was pretty much the same thing. He went while he was sitting on my lap and didn't say anything. We were getting FRUSTRATED. It felt like all the hard work was for NOTHING. I know you aren't supposed to get mad for having accidents but it was so hard not too.
Day 5: In the morning he had an accident and didn't say he needed to go or anything and didn't even care. I felt like he had reverted and was doing worst than DAY ONE. It was like the light bulb had went off and he has lost all motivation and interest. I felt like I wanted him to do it but he didn't and it was just me putting in all the work for nothing. I was ready to GIVE UP and go back to diapers. I posted a status on facebook about it and got a lot of comments with a lot of advice and help. A lot of people told me their kids did the same thing and it was normal and to not give up. One friend told me to stick it out and show him who's boss. Everyone helped me regain MY motivation to potty train Connor. I stopped being in a bad mood and got really positive and excited about it again and shortly after Connor went and only had a couple accidents after that.
Day 6: My mother in law babysat him this day and this is the day that he pooped in the potty for the 1st time! I could not get him too but he just did it at her house! He did good while she babysat him and was not just not going like he did at my mom's.
After this day he has been pretty consistent with it. He still has 0-2 accidents a day and he had one episode on Saturday where he told Billy he didn't need to go and just sat there and went. He is doing great with pooping on the potty which is so great. We still have a little ways to go but I am just so proud of my big boy! He still says I need to go potty and then we have to take him. He won't just go by himself. He doesn't wear pants at home just shirts and underwear and most the time we have to pull down his underwear for him. Anytime we go anywhere we put a pull up on him. Billy forgot after picking him up at his mom's to put a pull up on for the car ride home and he went in the car. I get so nervous going to the store or out to eat with him to not put a pull up on him, and am not sure how he will do in a public place. Same with even just in the car to my mom's or Billy's moms. I am sure we will get there and it just takes time. Same goes for church. I put a pull up on when we go to church. I get nervous that he won't tell his nursery teacher that he needs to go and will have an accident in nursery. He only will go sitting down and won't go standing up and never has. I know that this normal and perfectly fine. My question is how long until I need to teach him how to go standing up and get him to go standing up? He still wears pull ups to bed which I think this one is going to take the longest. He goes to bed with a sippy which I know is a horrible habit but he does. He does not hold his bladder at night he just goes. Today he had 0 accidents and I think yesterday was the same. It will be so nice to not have to buy diapers......until June lol!

Here are our potty training pictures lol.


This is the jar of m&m's I used to potty train Connor.


Connor's Certificate of being potty trained!


This is Connor's potty chart before it was complete. He would pick the sticker that he wanted every time and he would read it. For example he would say I want you are special or I want way to go!

Connor's potty chart complete after a week! I am going to take him swimming at the Lehi Legacy Center tomorrow as his reward. That is what he said he wanted! He used to always say he wanted to go to Chucke E Cheese but I asked him if he wanted swimming or Chuck E Cheese and he said swimming!


Connor Mr. No Pants. We will work on that LOL.

Look at that cute BUM!

I'M A BIG BOY NOW!



Ok so for a quick pregnancy update I have expanded A LOT the last couple weeks! I went from not really looking pregnant to definetly looking pregnant overnight it seemed like! I have gained more in the last 2 weeks then I had my whole pregnancy! No joke! I gained 5 lbs last week and 2 the week before. I had only gained a total of 7 before that. I looked in my old pregnancy book that I had with Connor where I tracked my weight gain and I actually am at about the same amount of lbs that I was with Connor at this point. I remember that I "popped" out at the same time with Connor too funny huh.

This is me at 16 weeks.



This is me at 22 weeks! Definetly have expanded a lot!
Pregnancy is going great though! I have a weird varcose vein thing going on on my ankle that is actually hurting me and it has spread around my foot. It is kind of swollen too. I am going to go get it looked at tomorrow. Jack is a lot lower than Connor was. Connor was in my ribs and I carried so high with him. Jack is in my bladder and I am low this time. When Connor kicked I could put my hand on it this time it is weird because he kicks like where the button of my pants are. Kind of awkward but it's all good! I have started getting the discomfort and I know that is just going to get worst! I can't really complain though it has been a pretty good pregnancy so far!

Saturday was mine and Billy's 6 year anniversary! Wow I can't believe it has been 6 years it went by so fast! We went out to eat to Applebee's and then went to the movie Valentines Day which I LOVED! For Valentines Day Billy made me this cake.

It was soooo yummy! Sadly I forgot to take a picture of it before it was cut and halfway gone. The presentation looked great before it was cut and ruined I promise and the taste was DEVINE.

6 comments:

Emily said...

1) Congrats on 6 years! I can't believe it! But for me, it seems like your wedding was ages ago!! haha. Getting stuck in traffic while running your friends from FL on a few errands. (!!) ages ago!

2) I hope, for you, Connor is for realsies 100% there.

3) You look amazing! I hope you're doing well.

Old Main Photography said...

Oh Am! You look so CUTE! And way to go on the potty training. It was hard for us too, but worth it. Now I only have Eva in diapers, and my goal is to get her trained just after she turns two. (I've heard girls are ready sooner than boys... we'll see!) Both of my boys were over three when they finally showed signs, ha ha. So, how many pairs of big boy underwear did you end up throwing away because it was too gross to wash out? :) lol

Kelsi said...

yay!! Such a good feeling! It is such an accomplishment for a parent because potty training can be frustrating!

lacey said...

that is so neat! is there any way i could borrow that book of yours? bridger will sit on the potty and push :) but he still dosent go pee in the potty, so i think he is kinda close and i need help cause i dont know really where to start and i am not sure if he is still to young. anyways, congrats!! and see you tomorrow..girls night!!!

The Gwilliam's said...

That is great! Way to go Connor and Mommy!

jacksonhaleywarrenandhaus said...

You are looking great by the way. YEA that he is potty trained

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...